After weeks of hope that the show would go on, Caemeron and Ryan broadcast live from their respective shower floors in sadness about Winning Time being cancelled. Before digging in on the season turned series finale, the pair discuss:
- Drew Barrymore reversing her decision for her show to return. Good for you, Drew!
- Celebrity auctions to support Free the Work
- How the Lando TV series is now a movie and Pablo Torre broke the story
- Ahsoka putting an episode into theaters
- Ryan’s recommendation of Welcome to Wrexham
On the Winning Time Series Finale (Season 2 Episode 7, “What Is and What Should Never Be”)
It’s the 1984 NBA finals and the first matchup between these versions of the Los Angeles Lakers and Boston Celtics. Each game was a must-watch event for NBA fans as Magic Johnson and Larry Bird battled over seven games. Lakers steal one in Boston. Magic freezes at the end of Game 2, hard foul on Rambis led to a fight, AC game in Boston (Game 5), and then a Game 7 comeback by the Lakers before they eventually lose to Boston. Meanwhile, Jerry Buss deals with the threat of a massive palimony lawsuit from Honey, who we remind you does not exist as a real person, though Buss was indeed sued along these lines.
- Thoughts on the ending tacked on due to cancellation
- Rambis really did punch a guy, and the Rambis Youth were real
- Boston Garden didn’t have air conditioning
- Larry Bird has an enduring hatred of Bill Laimbeer
- He also really did say that thing about his teammates needing heart transplants
- Kareem did indeed suffer from migraines, including one before Game 6
Join us next time on The TV Obsessive Podcast as we begin to each set out our Mount Rushmore of TV episodes, beginning with a choice from Ryan: Lost‘s “Exodus.”